Camp Skyhawk 2011
Two Special Camp Topics Available for Campers Grades 6-8
Camp Skyhawk is a special week-long experience in aviation and space exploration for campers entering Grades 6-8 in Fall 2011.
Previous Aviation Camp experience is not required, only an enthusiasm for things that fly.
Two different experiences are available for Summer 2011:
All Camp Skyhawk/Camp Starhawk enrollment is Full Day (9 AM-4 PM), with extended hours available for an additional fee. A registration fee of $415 ($379 Members) is required and includes the field trip. A separate Launch Fee is not required.
Leap into the world of the aviator with an intensive, hands-on experience.
Enter the flight simulators (one simulator per camper) twice daily to undertake a series of ever more challenging missions using single-
and multi-engined aircraft by day, at night, and in severe weather conditions. Build and fly a detailed model airplane,
inspect real airplanes and helicopters in the Museum's Gallery, and observe flight operations from the base of the Control Tower
at San Carlos Airport. Take a full day field trip to local aviation facilities and wrap up the week with a comprehensive,
full day flight simulation competition to earn the silver wings of an elite Hiller Aviation Museum flight simulation ace.
- Intensive flight simulation-12 total missions, each camper flying his/her own individual simulator
- Detailed model aircraft construction
- Celestial navigation inside a Starlab planetarium
- Aviation weather and weather station construction
- Wind tunnel demonstration and aerodynamic lab activities
- Close-up airport observations at San Carlos Tower
- Aircraft inspections and explanations by experienced pilots
- Field trip to local aviation-related facility
| Session 1-S || June 13th-17th|
| Session 7-S || July 25th-July 29th|
| Session 10-S|| || August 15th-August 19th |
Launch into an advanced exploration of astronomy and space travel!
Master the science of rocketry while building a sophisticated rocket and boost glider,
then take a field trip to an offsite launch location to blast the rocket skyward. Visit the aircraft carrier USS Hornet,
recovery ship for the Apollo 11 and Apollo 12 missions to the Moon. Follow in the steps of the astronauts and explore the ship's
extensive aerospace exhibits and displays. Learn to fly the F-18 Hornet in the flight simulators, and then patrol the perimeter
of Cape Canaveral's Restricted Area during a space launch simulation. Build a telescope, study meteorites and more in a spectacular
exploration of space!
- Advanced rocket and boost glider construction
- Astronomy lab activities
- Refracting telescope construction
- Basic and advanced flight simulation
- Meteorite and tektite examination
- Offsite rocket launch
- Field trip to USS Hornet Museum
| Session 6-S || July 18th-July 22nd|
| Session 9-S || August 8th-August 12th |
Camp Prices and Registration
Camp Skyhawk Registration Form
Return to Aviation Camp Main Page