Half-Day Drone Programs Grades K-5
Saturday, February 17
Saturday, March 10
All Programs 10 AM – 12:30 PM. January 15 not available.
Discover the world of drones with flight simulation, real flight training in the Museum’s Drone Plex, exploration of historical aircraft and more!
Drone Rangers ($69 – $59 Members) Launch an adventure into multi-rotor flight accessible for the youngest aspiring drone aces! Drone Rangers is designed for children ages 5-10 and includes a range of explorations into remotely operated vehicles. Each 2.5-hour program includes:
- Introduction to robotic flight
- Examination of remotely pilot aircraft in Museum’s collection
- Hands-on experiments in vertical flight
- Introductory flight training using drone flight simulators
- Dual flight instruction and free flight in Drone Plex flight center
- Complete entry-level drone system including aircraft, radio, battery and charger
Each participant masters the basics of vertical flight with a simple hand-powered helicopter before learning to fly multi-rotor aircraft on the simulators and in the Drone Plex. All participants will take home a working quadcopter and all support equipment required to fly it. Aircraft used may vary between programs, but all models used in Drone Rangers are below the weight threshold for FAA certification. Children are checked in to instructional staff for the duration of each program. Please complete a Student Information and Medical Form and have ready to provide directly to your child’s instructor at the time of check-in. Parents are welcome to observe but need not be present during the program.