Aviation Camp and COVID-19
April 5, 2023
State guidance specific to K-12 schools is also applicable to day camp operations. The Hiller Aviation Museum has implemented additional camp modifications that will enhance safety for campers, parents, staff members and volunteers alike. Should any guidance change before the start date of a particular camp session in a way that affects day camp operations, camp curriculum and/or operations may be adjusted to reflect such changes. Parents will be advised of all modifications in advance of the camp start date and will have the opportunity to adjust their enrollment should any such changes materially alter the planned curriculum.
Aviation Camp is aligned with California Department of Public Health guidance on face covering use for K-12 school groups effective March 3, 2023. Face coverings are recommended, but not required, in the museum’s indoor areas during camp activities, regardless of vaccination status. Use of face coverings during outdoor activities is optional for all individuals, again regardless of vaccination status. We appreciate your continued compliance with these health rules while onsite at the Hiller Aviation Museum for Aviation Camp.
Following is a summary of additional policies with regards to Aviation Camp, and provisions that have been made or that are planned in response to COVID-19.
Aviation Camp Safety Procedures
- Children participating in Aviation Camp are encouraged to follow state guidelines regarding isolation following a positive test for COVID-19. Specifically, regardless of vaccination status, individuals should isolate for five days following either the onset of symptoms or (if no symptoms present) a positive COVID test. Isolation can end following the fifth day if symptoms are improving and if no fever is present for at least 24 hours. If symptoms have not improved and/or if fever remains present, isolation should continue for up to ten days. Children should not attend Aviation Camp during an isolation period.
- The state’s guidelines for close contacts are also encouraged for all Aviation Camp participants. Close contacts are persons who shared an indoor space of 400,000 cubic feet or less for more than 15 minutes with an individual who tested positive for COVID within two days of the time when the space was shared. Close contacts are not required to isolate and may participate in Aviation Camp and other K-12 activities, but are encouraged to wear a face covering indoors for ten days following contact and undergo a COVID-19 test 3-5 days following the contact.
- Although they are not required, any child is welcome to wear a face covering at any time during Aviation Camp. Single use face coverings will be available for those who wish to use one and do not bring one of their own.
- Morning check-in time is available on an extended schedule 8:30 AM – 9:00 AM, and afternoon check-out is available 3:45 PM – 4:15 PM, for all campers in order to reduce crowding at check-in and check-out. Campers will be checked in and out at dispersed team locations, with staff and volunteers available to direct parents.
- PM Extended Day is available select camp sessions until 5:00 PM, and until 5:30 PM June 12 – August 18.
- Children will be placed in teams and will stay with the same team for the duration of each camp session.
- Any additional operational requirements imposed by future changes to public health rules will be communicated to all parents via email in advance of their camp start date.
Aviation Camp Cancellation Policy – Summer 2023
- Aviation Camp enrollment is fully refundable up until 60 days prior to the camp start date for all registrations made through April 1, 2023.
- Aviation Camp cancellations requested less than 60 days, but at least 14 days, prior to camp start may receive a refund subject to a $50 per session processing fee ($25 per session for one-day programs).
- Late cancellations requested fewer than 14 days in advance of the session start date are not eligible to receive a refund, but may receive a credit towards a future program. A $50 processing fee will be deducted from the value of any credits issued for late cancellations.
- Schedule changes may be requested on a space-available basis. Price differences may apply. Schedule changes requested fewer than 14 days in advance are subject to a $25 processing fee.
- Children exhibiting illness symptoms are encouraged to follow CDC/CDPH isolation guidelines for staying home/getting tested for COVID-19 prior to returning to camp. Enrollments may be modified for missed days consistent with these guidelines.
- In the event that sessions are cancelled as a result of a future change in public health guidance that preclude the Hiller Aviation Museum from operating any Aviation Camp sessions safely, parents will receive a full refund (no processing fee).
Elementary Topics (K-5)
Intermediate Topics (5-7)
All camps are located at the Hiller Aviation Museum at the San Carlos Airport.