Aviation Camp and COVID-19
September 1, 2020
As is the case with many other museums and destinations in the Bay Area, the Hiller Aviation Museum has been closed during the COVID-19 mitigation effort. Although currently closed to the public, the Museum has continued operating Aviation Camp as allowed under state and county health rules detailed below.
Public Health Order c19-11 issued June 17, 2020 rescinded the county shelter-in-place order and replaced it with a social distancing protocol, a requirement mandating use of face coverings in certain situations, and a restriction on most gatherings of 50 persons or more. The order otherwise placed the county in general alignment with state requirements. State orders specific to day camp operations were issued on June 5, July 29 and August 25, and include additional rules regarding face coverings and a maximum group (“cohort”) size of 14 students. Aviation Camp operates in compliance with all relevant state and county orders specific to day camp operations as outlined below.
Pursuant to San Mateo County Public Health Orders issued May 29, May 15 and April 29, 2020 and state guidance specific to day camp operations updated on August 25, Aviation Camp will operate to provide supervision for K-6 children as allowed under the orders. Children will be placed in stable groups of 14 or fewer children and will not be changed between groups. Each group will be placed in a discrete location and groups will not mix with each other as specified by the order. Instructional staff will be assigned solely to one particular group of children, with the same staff and children remaining together throughout each session.
Following is a summary of current policies with regards to Aviation Camp, and provisions that have been made or that are planned in response to COVID-19.
Aviation Camp Policies
- Fall/Winter Aviation Camp sessions will operate in accordance with San Mateo County Public Health Order c19-11 as published on June 17, 2020, and in compliance with California state guidance on day camp operations issued June 5, July 29 and August 25, until and unless such orders are amended.
- Parents enrolled in sessions scheduled to run only one week may cancel and receive a refund of the amount paid less a $35 processing fee 3 or more weeks prior to the camp start date.
- Parents enrolled in 3- or 4-week sessions may cancel and receive a refund amount determined by the advance notice given as indicated below:
- Cancellations 3 or more weeks prior to original start date: 90% refund.
- Cancellations at least 2 weeks prior to original start date: 75% refund.
- Cancellations at least 1 week prior to original start date: 50% refund.
- Cancellations or withdrawals no later than the first day of camp: 25% refund.
- In the event that sessions are cancelled as a result of a change in public health guidance that precludes the Hiller Aviation Museum from operating any Aviation Camp sessions safely, parents will be given the option to transfer or to take a full refund (no processing fee).
Aviation Camp Changes
- Offsite field trips will not be included in Aviation Camp sessions during Fall/Winter 2020/2021. Alternative onsite activities will be provided to ensure a full schedule for all campers.
- Large group shows and events have been removed from the Aviation Camp curriculum. Alternative activities suitable for groups of 14 or smaller will be added to ensure a full schedule for all campers.
- Morning check-in time has been changed to 8:30 AM – 9:00 AM, and afternoon check-out time to 3:45 PM – 4:15 PM, for all campers to reduce crowding at check-in and check-out. Campers will be checked in and out at dispersed team locations, with staff and volunteers available to direct parents.
- AM Extended Day is not available. PM Extended Day is available 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM (5:30 PM Summer 2021).
- Aviation Camp campers, staff and volunteers will wear face coverings as required by San Mateo County Health Rule c19-11 issued June 17, 2020 and state guidance issued July 17 and 29, 2020. Children ages 3 and up must bring a soft face covering to wear at camp to enhance the health and safety of all participants. Single use coverings will be provided for children who forget to bring one of their own. All children will receive a personalized paper bag to store their face covering when removed during the camp day for snacks, lunch, mask breaks and other times when face coverings are not worn. Parents, caregivers and siblings onsite for check-in and check-out are also required to wear face coverings, except that children ages 0-2 (e.g., younger siblings onsite during camp check-in or check-out) should not wear face coverings.
- Any additional operational requirements imposed by future changes to public health rules will be communicated to all parents via email in advance of their camp start date.
This is an exceptional season and we are united with our community in working to mitigate the impacts of the current public health emergency. We greatly value your support of the Hiller Aviation Museum and its immersive STEM programs, and appreciate your flexibility as the Museum navigates the changes associated with the reopening of the Museum and resumption of programs such as Aviation Camp. Additional information will continue to be provided here as it becomes available, and will be communicated via email to all parents currently enrolled in our programs.
Elementary Topics (K-6)
All camps are located at the Hiller Aviation Museum at the San Carlos Airport.