Aviation Camp and COVID-19
December 29, 2020
As is the case with many other museums and destinations in the Bay Area, the Hiller Aviation Museum is temporarily closed in compliance with state health orders as part of the COVID-19 mitigation effort. Although currently closed to the public, the Museum has continued to operate Aviation Camp as allowed under state and county health rules.
Planning for Summer 2021 presents unique challenges, as public health rules affecting day camp operations at this time may not reflect requirements that will be in place when summer programs actually begin. In light of this uncertainty, the Hiller Aviation Museum has planned curriculum fully compliant with existing public health rules. Should any rules change between the release of the Aviation Camp schedule in December 2020 and the start date of a particular camp session, camp curriculum and/or operations may be adjusted to reflect such changes. Parents will be advised of all modifications in advance of the camp start date and will have the opportunity to adjust, transfer or cancel their enrollment should any such changes materially alter the planned curriculum.
The Hiller Aviation Museum will continue to operate the Aviation Camp program pursuant to state guidance specific to day camp operations as updated most recently on August 25, 2020. Children will be placed in stable groups of 14 or fewer children and will not be changed between groups. Each group will be placed in a discrete location and groups will not mix with each other as specified by the order. Instructional staff will be assigned solely to one particular group of children, with the same staff and children remaining together throughout each session. Please note that, when possible, we encourage parents to request that siblings attending Aviation Camp together be placed in the same group to minimize contact between groups.
Following is a summary of current policies with regards to Aviation Camp, and provisions that have been made or that are planned in response to COVID-19.
Aviation Camp Refund Policy – Spring 2021
- Enrollments for Aviation Camp sessions scheduled to start February – April 2021 may be cancelled, and a refund requested, up to seven days prior to the session start date.
- Processing fees will be waived for refund requests made no later than seven days prior to the session start date.
- Late cancellations requested less than seven days in advance of the session start date are not eligible to receive a refund, but may receive a credit towards a future program. A $35 processing fee will be deducted from the value of any credits issued for late cancellations.
- In the event that sessions are cancelled as a result of a future change in public health guidance that precludes the Hiller Aviation Museum from operating any Aviation Camp sessions safely, parents may receive a full refund (no processing fee).
Aviation Camp Refund Policy – Summer 2021
- Enrollments for Aviation Camp sessions scheduled to start June – August 2021 may be cancelled for a full refund (no processing fee deducted) through April 30, 2021.
- From May 1, 2021, enrollments for Aviation Camp sessions scheduled to start June – August 2021 may be cancelled, and a refund requested, up to fourteen days prior to the session start date. A $35 per session processing fee will be deducted from each refund.
- Late cancelations requested less than fourteen days in advance of the session start date are not eligible to receive a refund, but may receive a credit towards a future program. A $35 processing fee will be deducted from the value of any credits issued for late cancellations.
- In the event that sessions are cancelled as a result of a future change in public health guidance that preclude the Hiller Aviation Museum from operating any Aviation Camp sessions safely, parents may receive a full refund (no processing fee).
Aviation Camp Changes
- Offsite field trips will not be included in any Aviation Camp program offered through the end of 2021.
- Large group shows and events have been removed from the Aviation Camp curriculum. Alternative activities suitable for groups of 14 or smaller will be added to ensure a full schedule for all campers.
- Morning check-in time has been changed to 8:30 AM – 9:00 AM, and afternoon check-out time to 3:45 PM – 4:15 PM, for all campers to reduce crowding at check-in and check-out. Campers will be checked in and out at dispersed team locations, with staff and volunteers available to direct parents.
- AM Extended Day is not available. PM Extended Day is available 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM (5:30 PM Summer 2021).
- Aviation Camp campers, staff and volunteers will wear face coverings as required by San Mateo County Health Rule c19-11 issued June 17, 2020 and state guidance issued July 17 and 29, 2020. Children ages 3 and up must bring a soft face covering to wear at camp to enhance the health and safety of all participants. Single use coverings will be provided for children who forget to bring one of their own. All children will receive a personalized paper bag to store their face covering when removed during the camp day for snacks, lunch, mask breaks and other times when face coverings are not worn. Parents, caregivers and siblings onsite for check-in and check-out are also required to wear face coverings, except that children ages 0-2 (e.g., younger siblings onsite during camp check-in or check-out) should not wear face coverings.
- Parents will be required to verify each child’s health status daily during check-in.
- Any additional operational requirements imposed by future changes to public health rules will be communicated to all parents via email in advance of their camp start date.
This is an exceptional season and we are united with our community in working to mitigate the impacts of the current public health emergency. We greatly value your support of the Hiller Aviation Museum and its immersive STEM programs, and appreciate your flexibility as the Museum navigates the changes associated with the reopening of the Museum and resumption of programs such as Aviation Camp. Additional information will continue to be provided here as it becomes available, and will be communicated via email to all parents currently enrolled in our programs.
Elementary Topics (K-5)
Intermediate Topics (5-7)
Camper Welcome Letter
Aviation Camp Flyer
All camps are located at the Hiller Aviation Museum at the San Carlos Airport.