Aviation Camp and COVID-19
May 29, 2020
As is the case with many other museums and destinations in the Bay Area, the Hiller Aviation Museum remains temporarily closed during the COVID-19 mitigation effort. The Museum is looking ahead to the summer months and to operating Aviation Camp. Aviation Camp is created, managed and conducted by Hiller Aviation Museum staff and volunteers and is not contracted through any third party providers, which permits the Museum to quickly adapt operations to the precise local conditions that will apply as summer approaches.
Public Health Order c19-5e issued May 29, 2020 required additional changes to the structure and duration of the Aviation Camp program beyond those mandated by the previous (c19-5c) issued on April 29, 2020. In particular, the May 29 order stipulates that all summer camp programs in San Mateo County run a minimum of three weeks. Aviation Camp will complete a transition to a new schedule of three- and four-week sessions in late May and early June, with parents previously enrolled in the traditional one-week sessions provided with an opportunity to transfer into a new session or cancel and receive a full refund. Available spaces in the new four-week sessions will be opened on a rolling basis through mid-June, with status continually updated at our online enrollment portal.
Pursuant to San Mateo County Public Health Orders issued May 29, May 15 and April 29, 2020, Aviation Camp will operate to provide supervision for K-6 children as allowed under the orders. Children will be placed in stable groups of 12 or fewer children and will not be changed between groups. Each group will be placed in a discrete location and groups will not mix with each other as specified by the order. Instructional staff will be assigned solely to one particular group of children, with the same staff and children remaining together throughout each four week session.
Following is a summary of current policies with regards to Aviation Camp, and provisions that have been made or that are planned in response to COVID-19.
Aviation Camp Policies
- Summer Aviation Camp sessions will operate in accordance with San Mateo County Public Health Order c19-5e as revised on May 29, 2020, until and unless such time as this order is amended.
- Parents previously enrolled in a legacy 1-week duration sessions may transfer into a new 3- or 4-week session and pay the price difference, or cancel and receive a full refund of the original amount paid for the 1-week session. Parents may combine balances from multiple pre-enrolled 1-week sessions towards a single 3- or 4-week session if desired.
- Parents enrolled in new 3- or 4-week sessions may cancel and receive a refund amount determined by the advance notice given as indicated below:
- Cancellations 3 or more weeks prior to original start date: 90% refund.
- Cancellations at least 2 weeks prior to original start date: 75% refund.
- Cancellations at least 1 week prior to original start date: 50% refund.
- Cancellations or withdrawals no later than Friday of the first week of camp: 25% refund.
- In the event that sessions are cancelled as a result of a change in public health guidance that precludes the Hiller Aviation Museum from operating any Aviation Camp sessions safely, parents will be given the option to transfer or to take a full refund (no processing fee).
Aviation Camp Changes
- Offsite field trips will not be included in Aviation Camp sessions during Summer 2020. Alternative onsite activities will be provided to ensure a full schedule for all campers.
- Half Day programs, and programs exclusively for JK or middle school children (age 4 and entering Grades 5-8) are no longer available. All camp sessions are now open to children entering Grades K-6.
- Large group shows and events have been removed from the Aviation Camp curriculum. Alternative activities suitable for groups of 12 or smaller will be added to ensure a full schedule for all campers.
- Morning check-in time has been changed to 8:30 AM – 9:00 AM, and afternoon check-out time to 3:45 PM – 4:15 PM (12 PM – 12:30 PM Half Day), for all campers to reduce crowding at check-in and check-out. Campers will be checked in and out at dispersed team locations, with staff and volunteers available to direct parents.
- AM Extended Day is not available. PM Extended Day is available 4:00 PM – 5:30 PM.
- Aviation Camp staff and volunteers will wear face coverings as required by San Mateo County Health Rule c19-8 issued April 17, 2020. Children ages 4-12 may wear face coverings at Aviation Camp if desired, but are not required to under this order.
- Any additional operational requirements imposed by future changes to public health rules will be communicated to all parents via email in advance of their camp start date.
This is an exceptional season and we are united with our community in working to mitigate the impacts of the current public health emergency. We greatly value your support of the Hiller Aviation Museum and its immersive STEM programs, and appreciate your flexibility as the Museum navigates the changes associated with the reopening of the Museum and resumption of programs such as Aviation Camp. Additional information will continue to be provided here as it becomes available, and will be communicated via email to all parents currently enrolled in our programs.
Primary Topic (JK-1)
Elementary Topics (K-5)
Middle School Topics (5-8)
All camps are located at the Hiller Aviation Museum at the San Carlos Airport.