Aviation Camp and COVID-19
June 18, 2021
The Hiller Aviation Museum is currently open to the public seven days per week. The Museum has operated Aviation Camp as allowed under state and county health rules throughout the pandemic, and will continue to do so during the Summer 2021 season..
Current state health orders specific to day camp operations were updated effective April 23, 2021. The guidelines now in effect align day camp rules with four sets of requirements in common with those in place for K-12 schools, which remain in place following the June 15 rescission of many statewide health safety measures. The Hiller Aviation Museum will adhere to these requirements, as well as additional camp modifications that will enhance safety for campers, parents, staff members and volunteers alike. Should any rules change before the start date of a particular camp session, camp curriculum and/or operations may be adjusted to reflect such changes. Parents will be advised of all modifications in advance of the camp start date and will have the opportunity to adjust, transfer or cancel their enrollment should any such changes materially alter the planned curriculum.
As a K-12 day camp operation, face coverings are required indoors for all participants at Aviation Camp as called out the in California Department of Public Health’s update on June 15, 2021. Please note that parents, staff members, volunteers and children participating in day camp operations are required to wear face coverings indoors during such activities regardless of vaccination status. Members of the general public visiting the museum while Aviation Camp is in session are also required to wear face coverings indoors. Children will have an opportunity to remove their face coverings during outdoor snack/lunch breaks. Use of face coverings during outdoor activities is optional for all individuals, again regardless of vaccination status. We appreciate your continued compliance with these health rules while onsite at the Hiller Aviation Museum for Aviation Camp.
Following is a summary of additional policies with regards to Aviation Camp, and provisions that have been made or that are planned in response to COVID-19.
Aviation Camp Refund Policy – Summer 2021
- From May 1, 2021, enrollments for Aviation Camp sessions scheduled to start June – August 2021 may be cancelled, and a refund requested, up to fourteen days prior to the session start date. A $35 per session processing fee will be deducted from each refund.
- Late cancelations requested less than fourteen days in advance of the session start date are not eligible to receive a refund, but may receive a credit towards a future program. A $35 processing fee will be deducted from the value of any credits issued for late cancellations.
- In the event that sessions are cancelled as a result of a future change in public health guidance that preclude the Hiller Aviation Museum from operating any Aviation Camp sessions safely, parents may receive a full refund (no processing fee).
Aviation Camp Safety Procedures
- While Aviation Camp is in session (Monday-Friday 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM), all children, staff members, volunteers, parents and visiting members of the general public are required to wear face coverings indoors at the Hiller Aviation Museum regardless of vaccination status. Single use face coverings will be provided for children who forget to bring one of their own.
- Face coverings are optional during outdoor activities regardless of vaccination status.
- Morning check-in time is available on an extended schedule 8:30 AM – 9:00 AM, and afternoon check-out is available 3:45 PM – 4:15 PM, for all campers in order to reduce crowding at check-in and check-out. Campers will be checked in and out at dispersed team locations, with staff and volunteers available to direct parents.
- PM Extended Day is available 4:00 PM – 5:30 PM (5:00 PM August 23-September 3). AM Extended Day is not available.
- Parents will be required to verify each child’s health status daily during check-in.
- Campers will be placed in teams and will stay with the same team, including staff members and volunteers, for the duration of each camp session. We are sorry, but group changes are not allowed after each session of Aviation Camp begins.
- Offsite field trips will not be included in any Aviation Camp program through the end of 2021.
- Any additional operational requirements imposed by future changes to public health rules will be communicated to all parents via email in advance of their camp start date.
Summer 2021 remains an unusual season for Aviation Camp. We are united with our community in working to mitigate the ongoing impacts of the current public health environment. We greatly value your support of the Hiller Aviation Museum and its immersive STEM programs, and appreciate your flexibility as the Museum navigates the changes associated with the reopening of the Museum and resumption of programs such as Aviation Camp. Additional information will continue to be provided here as state/county rules and the health situation evolves, and will be communicated via email to all parents currently enrolled in our programs.
Elementary Topics (K-5)
Intermediate Topics (5-7)
Camper Welcome Letter
All camps are located at the Hiller Aviation Museum at the San Carlos Airport.