School Field Trips
School Programs and COVID-19
3 March 2022
The Hiller Aviation Museum is currently open to the public seven days per week. Field trips for school and other K-12 groups are available in compliance with current state and county public health orders. Remote programs for Distance Learning are also available at this time with advance reservations, and will continue to be offered to school groups throughout the 2021-2022 year.
Onsite field trips will be modified in order to enhance health and safety while complying with all applicable health orders. Modifications made to normal field trip operations include:
- A maximum of 125 students per day admitted to hands-on programming.
- Hands-on programs are limited to 25 students per class to facilitate distancing within program areas. Larger classes may be divided into groups of 25 or fewer to participate.
- All Hiller Aviation Museum staff members conducting hands-on programs for K-12 groups will be verified as fully vaccinated against the virus that causes the COVID-19 illness.
- The Hiller Aviation Museum aligns with California Department of Public Health guidance and San Mateo County Health guidance regarding face covering use during K-12 field trip visits. Face coverings are strongly recommended but not required indoors for all visitors, regardless of vaccination status. Face covering use remains optional in all outdoor areas.
- Segregated lunch areas (outdoors when weather permits) will be provided for each class eating lunch onsite.
Field trip experiences provide explorations in science, technology, math and engineering for Pre-K through 12th Grade. Interactive exhibits and hands-on programs make for an engaging adventure in the world of flight.
- Advance reservations are necessary for all field trips and distance learning programs. Two weeks’ notice is required for tours and programs. Earlier booking is encouraged to provide the best selection of dates and times.
- Minimum group size is 12 students and 2 adult chaperones.
- 1 adult teacher or chaperone is required per 8 students.
- Indoor and outdoor spaces are available to eat lunch at the Museum. Bring your own lunch; limited snack and drink items are available for purchase.
- Plentiful free parking for cars and buses is available at the Museum.
Field Trip Fees
- Student admission is $5.00/child, Monday-Friday. One adult is admitted at no charge for every eight students, with additional adults admitted at $10.00/adult.
- Weekend field trip admission is $10.00/participant, with no adult fee waiver.
- Weekday groups must include at least 12 students, weekend groups 12 total participants.
- All field trips must pay as a group to receive the discounted admission price. Individual admissions must be paid at the general admission rate.
- Hands-on Programs require an additional program fee that varies by program topic. Advance reservations are required.
- Admission and program fees must be paid upon arrival by cash, check or credit card. School Purchase Orders are not accepted.
- A valid credit card is required to complete a reservation. There is no charge for changes/cancellations to field trips scheduled to occur through December 31, 2021. For visits scheduled for January 1, 2022 and thereafter, a $30 cancellation fee will be charged for any field trips cancelled fewer than three days in advance.
- Qualified public schools may apply for admission waivers and/or transportation assistance for any field trip. See sidebar at right for details or to download an application.
- See the Distance Learning Page for information on fees specific to offsite programs.
Loved the hands on learning. Even loved how students know becoming a pilot is a career choice for them.
I bring my students here each year. It is a favorite trip! I learn something new each visit. The docents are so friendly and knowledgeable! The workshops are perfect for the age of the students!
How to Schedule Your School Program
1. Determine at least two possible dates for your field trip or distance program.
2. Use the Distance Learning Request Form to make a reservation for a remote program.
3. Use the Field Trip Request form to make a reservation for a traditional onsite field trip.
4. A credit card is required to confirm all reservations, but payment is not due until the day of the program.
Fee Waivers for Low Income Schools Schools with at least 30% of students qualified to receive free or reduced price meals may complete a request for fee waivers or (for onsite field trips) transportation reimbursement. Three different forms of support are available:
- Field Trip Fee Waiver Request - for admission and program fees associated with onsite field trips or distance learning programs
- Transportation Reimbursement Request - for assistance with transportation expenses incurred for onsite field trips
Reservations must be booked in advance of consideration of any and all school program assistance requests. Contact the Education office, firstname.lastname@example.org or (650) 654-0200 x 215, for more information.