School Field Trips
School Programs and COVID-19
16 August 2022
The Hiller Aviation Museum is open to the public seven days per week. Field trips for school and other K-12 groups are available in compliance with current state and county public health orders. Remote programs for Distance Learning are also available on a limited basis with advance reservations, and will continue to be offered to school groups during the 2022-2023 year.
Please note that the Hiller Aviation Museum aligns with California Department of Public Health guidance and San Mateo County Health guidance regarding face covering use during K-12 field trip visits. Face coverings are recommended but not required indoors for all visitors. Face covering use remains optional in all outdoor areas.
Field trip experiences provide explorations in science, technology, math and engineering for Grades Pre-K through 12. Interactive exhibits and hands-on programs make for an engaging adventure in the world of flight.
- Advance reservations are necessary for all field trips and distance learning programs. Two weeks’ notice is required for tours and programs. Earlier booking is encouraged to provide the best selection of dates and times.
- Minimum group size is 12 students and 2 adult chaperones.
- 1 adult teacher or chaperone is required per 8 students.
- Indoor and outdoor spaces are available to eat lunch at the Museum. Bring your own lunch; limited snack and drink items are available for purchase.
- Plentiful free parking for cars and buses is available at the Museum.
Field Trip Fees
- Student admission is $5.00/child, Monday-Friday. One adult is admitted at no charge for every eight students, with additional adults admitted at $10.00/adult.
- Weekend field trip admission is $10.00/participant, with no adult fee waiver.
- Weekday groups must include at least 12 students, weekend groups 12 total participants.
- All field trips must pay as a group to receive the discounted admission price. Individual admissions must be paid at the general admission rate.
- Hands-on Programs require an additional program fee that varies by program topic. Advance reservations are required.
- Admission and program fees must be paid upon arrival by cash, check or credit card. School Purchase Orders are not accepted.
- A valid credit card is required to complete a reservation. There is no charge for changes/cancellations to field trips requested at least three days in advance. A $30 cancellation fee will be charged for any field trips cancelled fewer than three days in advance.
- Qualified public schools may apply for admission waivers and/or transportation assistance for any field trip. See sidebar at right for details.
- See the Distance Learning Page for information on fees specific to offsite programs.
Mondays at the Museum
- Any K-12 school group may visit the Museum at no charge on select Mondays, September 2022 – May 2023.
- All regular field trip policies listed above apply. Only in-person field trips are included in Mondays at the Museum.
- Optional hands-on programs may be scheduled at regular field trip prices.
- Transportation reimbursement is available to qualified schools through the Hiller Aviation Museum’s Financial Assistance program (see sidebar).
- Visit the Mondays at the Museum web page for a list of available dates and more detailed information.
Loved the hands on learning. Even loved how students know becoming a pilot is a career choice for them.
I bring my students here each year. It is a favorite trip! I learn something new each visit. The docents are so friendly and knowledgeable! The workshops are perfect for the age of the students!
How to Schedule Your School Program
1. Determine at least two possible dates for your field trip or distance program.
3. A credit card is required to confirm all reservations, but payment is not due until the day of the program.
Fee Waivers for Low Income Schools Schools with an Identified Student Percentage of at least 30% of students qualified to receive free or reduced price meals under federal guidelines may complete an online request for fee waivers and/or (for onsite field trips) transportation reimbursement. Low income schools receiving an admission/program fee waiver may generally visit on any available date and participate in any program covered by the admission waiver.
Fee Waivers for all Schools Any public or private K-12 school group visiting on an advanced reservation with 12 or more students may visit the Hiller Aviation Museum at no charge at select times during the year under one of the following programs:
- Mondays at the Museum - complimentary admission to K-12 school groups of 12 or more students visiting on an advanced reservation during non-holiday Mondays September 2022 - May 2023. Fees for optional hands-on programs, guided tours, and adult admissions apply.
- Aero Design Challenge - an intensive hands-on engineering experience provided at no charge. Open to groups of 30+ students Grades 4-8, October 2022 - May 2023.
Reservations must be booked in advance of consideration of any and all school program assistance requests. Contact the Education office, firstname.lastname@example.org or (650) 654-0200 x 215, for more information.