Gift Shop Assistant Manager – Full Time
The Hiller Aviation Museum seeks a dynamic person to apply their knowledge, vision and creativity toward making the museum’s gift shop and front-of-house operations the best they can be for over 100,000 museum visitors each year. The Hiller Aviation Museum, located on the San Francisco Peninsula in San Carlos, CA, is the region’s premier destination for all things related to flight, including a 3,000 square foot gift shop that is considered one of the finest aviation-themed retail establishments on the west coast.
Hours and Wages
Weekday Hours: 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday (with very occasional weekend days, as needed)
Pay rate: $25 per hour.
Position includes vacation accrual, medical benefits, long term disability insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan.
- A High School diploma is the minimum academic requirement. College course work in finance and business practices or Bachelor’s degree a plus.
- Also required is a minimum of two years’ experience in retail sales with knowledge of stock management, maintaining cash registers, credit card machines, IT systems and POS systems, implementing appropriate fiscal and accounting procedures.
- Experience in buying and strategic inventory planning a plus.
The Assistant Manager will report to the Gift Shop Manager, assisting in sales, buying and inventory control of the Gift Shop and museum front-of-house operations including visitor services functions, admissions, group check-in and program ticket sales. The Assistant Manager will manage all aspects of the museum Gift Shop in the absence of the Gift Shop Manager, including supervision of cashiers. This is a full time position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- This person works under the direction of the Gift Shop Manager to implement daily sales operations as well as visitor services functions, admissions, group check-in, program sales and other front-of-house operations.
- The Assistant Manager is responsible for all gift shop operations and front-of-house visitor services operations when the Gift Shop Manager is absent including supervision of cashiers, merchandising, selling, record keeping, ordering and receiving stock.
- This person coordinates with the Gift Shop Manager in understanding and staying abreast of long-term retail trends, customer relations technologies and innovations that can inform the strategic plan for making the museum’s gift shop and front-of-house operations more effective.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants may apply by submitting a resume and cover letter in PDF format via email to Duncan Chadwick, Gift Shop Manager, at email@example.com. References will be requested at the time of interview.