Tours and Gallery Exploration
All school and public groups may explore the Hiller Aviation Museum’s exhibits on a self-guided basis. Open aircraft cockpits, flight simulation experiences, hands-on exhibits and more ensure an interactive experience appropriate for any age. Facilitator-led lab experiences may be available in the Invention Lab, Drone Plex and Flight Sim Zone. Check with Museum staff on arrival to learn what may be available.
Adult groups and school groups Grades 2 and older may optionally add a volunteer-led guided tour to their experience. Intended to highlight the human stories behind the aircraft exhibited at the Museum, each 15-20 minute tour highlights one or more historic aircraft, with school tours including an opportunity to explore inside an aircraft cockpit. Advance reservations are required and an additional fee of $2/person is required at check-in. School tours are available Tuesday through Saturday only.
Following their tours and any selected hands-on programs, groups are invited to explore Gallery exhibits more closely under the supervision of a teacher or chaperone. Popular exhibits include flight simulators, aircraft cockpits and the Boeing 747. The Museum’s Gift Shop is also open; students and children are required to be accompanied by an adult in the Gift Shop.
How to Schedule Your School Program
1. Determine at least two possible dates for your field trip or distance program.
2. Use the Field Trip Request form to make a reservation for a traditional onsite field trip, or the Distance Learning Request Form to request a remote program.
3. A credit card is required to confirm all reservations, but payment is not due until the day of the program.
Gallery Exploration Resources
Exhibit Safaris are “scavenger hunt” style worksheets suitable for an entire class that facilitate additional museum exploration. Safaris correspond with four different exploration themes in an age-appropriate manner. Both student worksheets and teacher answer keys are available for download. Extend the Gallery experience by scouring the Gallery for the answers following a tour experience.
I LOVE the experience my 6th graders get here… the tour (always different & so fun), the simulator (they always love) and today the Drones (so cool)! The best part is the variety of things the students are exposed to. They are learning but they don’t even know it.
Fee Waivers for Low Income Schools Public schools with an Identified Student Percentage of at least 30% of students qualified to receive free or reduced price meals under federal guidelines may complete an online request for fee waivers and/or (for onsite field trips) transportation reimbursement. Low income schools receiving an admission/program fee waiver may generally visit on any available date and participate in any program covered by the admission waiver.
Fee Waivers for all Schools Any public or private K-12 school group visiting on an advanced reservation with 12 or more students may visit the Hiller Aviation Museum at no charge at select times during the year under one of the following programs:
- Mondays at the Museum - complimentary admission to K-12 school groups of 12 or more students visiting on an advanced reservation during non-holiday Mondays September 2022 - May 2023. Fees for optional hands-on programs, guided tours, and adult admissions apply.
- Aero Design Challenge - an intensive hands-on engineering experience provided at no charge. Open to groups of 30+ students Grades 4-8, October 2022 - May 2023.
Reservations must be booked in advance of consideration of any and all school program assistance requests. Contact the Education office, email@example.com or (650) 654-0200 x 215, for more information.